Job Title: Naturalist
Immediate Supervisor: Recreation Coordinator
Work Schedule: Full-time, M-F (Variable Hours within 8:00am-4:30pm), Evenings and Weekends as Needed
Salary: $25,000 – $37,000/Salary dependent upon experience
FSLA Overtime Status: Exempt
Purpose of Position:
The Naturalist is the public’s point of contact for information about park programs and park usage; responsible for answering questions from the public, assisting with registrations, and maintaining accurate data for the recreation division.
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Coordinate program staff volunteers in implementing leisure service programs for Washington Township Park
- Supervise classes, workshops and activities for residents and non-residents in programs.
- Respond to public inquiries about nature programs; answer questions; provide information; assist in resolving conflicts and complaints
- Assist Park staff with daily operations
- Assist Park staff with communications to parents, staff and campers
- Promote nature programs and services to schools, community groups, local Youth Civic Organizations and the public
- Coordinate with the School Corporation to set up school field trips to the facility.
- Plan and implement nature programming outside of Pecar Park.
- Coordinate sponsorship and partnerships for programs and events
- Recruit volunteers for events/programs and track hours quarterly
- Assist in the marketing efforts of the Department, specifically for Recreation, with social, electronic, and news media as well as appearances at other community and/or county events for promotional purposes. Prepare Recreation Division promotional materials.
- Prepare and enter data to assist Park Director with reports, analysis, RecDesk, and analysis of Recreation Division
- Assist in maintaining recreation equipment, initiating repairs/replacement, and inventory
- Assist the maintenance staff with preferred vegetation for the park grounds.
- Assist with registrations for programs, reservations for facilities, and assist office staff with other administrative duties
- Assist Park Director in supervision of facilities and amenity usage including coverage of evening/weekends as needed
- Ability to coordinate and effectively communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, volunteers, Park Director, Asst. Director, Township, Township Board, vendors, and the public. This includes explaining program details, regulations, priorities, and deadlines to staff.
- Responsible for all live educational displays including building and cleaning.
- Responsible for helping the maintenance staff in cleaning of the live exhibits and Nature Center
- Attend all trainings and meetings as required.
- Maintain strict confidentiality regarding park issues.
- Work requires occasional moderate to heavy lifting with occasional standing, bending, and carrying.
- Work requires the ability to work extended and/or evening hours, on occasion work weekend/holiday hours.
- Perform other related duties and/or special projects as needed.
- All other duties as assigned by Park Director or his/her representative.
- Strong skills in writing, editing, communicating, and presentation skills.
- Meet established deadlines.
- Basic knowledge of standard English grammar, spelling, punctuation and ability to assimilate information from various sources and prepare clear, persuasive communication for oral and written presentation.
- Basic knowledge of practical application of Park and Town services and standard principles of municipal government administration.
- Knowledge and application of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and Desktop- Publishing software
- Function in a team environment and independently when needed on various projects
- Initiative and drive to complete projects to the fullest extent including all necessary pertinent details
- Ability to learn recreation software, to set up courses/programs, program registrations, process payments and pull RecDesk Reports
- Good ethics and dependable attendance record
About Washington Township Parks and Recreation
The purpose of Washington Township Parks is to serve our community while contributing to the physical, mental and emotional well-being of all of our visitors! Washington Township Parks manages and maintains 160 acres of property which encompasses a vast array of recreation opportunities.
The Park provides opportunities for both structured and spontaneous play by way of our facilities, preserved wooded areas, and open green space. The Park has four covered picnic facilities, a 24 foot gazebo, two playgrounds, a sand volleyball court, basketball court, horseshoe pits, an outdoor fitness station, Pavilion Center, indoor wedding/event venue, two stocked fishing ponds, an outdoor amphitheater, a splash pad, a Paw Park with 3 separate fenced in areas for all sizes of dogs, 5 plus miles of trails, and the historic 1876 Whipple Iron Truss Bridge.