Parks and Recreation Department
311 Production Dr.
Avon, IN 46123
Job Title: Groundskeeper
Immediate Supervisor: Maintenance Superintendent
Work Schedule: Full-Time (not to exceed 40 hours a week), Wednesday – Sunday 7 – 3:30pm ½ hour unpaid lunch.
Salary: $25,000 – $35,000/Salary
FSLA Overtime Status: Non-Exempt
Job Description Revision: 11/12/2019
Purpose of Position:
The purpose of the Groundskeeper is to assist with the grooming of the main park grounds, natural forests of the parks, Township Property facilities and Washington Township cemeteries. This position requires the employee to be able to walk, lift, carry, push, climb and operate machinery and an automobile at least 95% of the time. This position requires the individual to work outside in extreme heat or cold for extended periods of time.
· Assist Maintenance Superintendent with evening and weekend on-call duties
· Grooms the park grounds and Washington Township cemeteries by (including but not limited to) mowing grass, trimming and cutting trees, planting flowers, pulling weeds and mulching flower beds
· Maintains natural trails by removing and trimming bushes and leveling the walking area
· Mowing of Washington Township properties where the owner has failed to properly mow or care for as directed by the Township Trustee (or his designated representative)
· Cleans and stocks restrooms
· Performs janitorial duties on all recreational facilities including shelters, Nature Center and Pavilion Center
· Assists with change overs of the Pavilion Center when the Maintenance Superintendent deems necessary.
· Keeps all mechanical equipment in good working order by repairing and providing preventative maintenance to all equipment such as (including but not limited to) mowers, tractors, backhoe, trucks/park vehicles, trailers, chain saws, and Township fire staff vehicles
· Assist with snow removal at Pecar Park, Township Fire Stations, Washington Township Park, and Township Government Center
· Refills brochure racks and assists with posting marketing materials throughout Park bulletin boards
· Changes the sign board at the front entrance of the park.
· Assist with the maintenance and implementation for the Winter Village and Ice Rink.
· Keeps Maintenance Superintendent informed of all damages, repair needs and supply needs
· Assist in the performance of minor electrical, carpentry and plumbing work needed for maintenance and repair of buildings and facilities.
· Assist in trash collection and ensure cleanliness of grounds and facilities.
· Ability to plan and organize work effectively and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
· Knowledge of conservation of lakes, streams, prairies as well as manicured formal parks.
· Working knowledge or the ability to learn about general use of splash pad maintenance.
· The ability to work independently with little supervision to complete tasks.
· Assists in preparation for special events by placing signs, directing traffic, etc.
· Other duties as assigned by Maintenance Superintendent.
· Minimum of 18 years of age
· High School diploma or GED equivalent
· Must obtain and submit criminal history background check
· Plumbing and electrical experience preferred but not required
· The ability to effectively communicate, organize and multitask
· Experience with zero turn mowers and weed-eating preferred
· Must be able to work in inclement weather conditions with exposure to the elements
· Must be able to move heavy objects (up to 50 pounds) short distances (20 feet or less)
· Assist with special event set ups.
· Assist office staff with special projects as deemed fit by the Maintenance Superintendent.
· Must be able to learn skills associated with cleaning, maintenance and gardening methods, materials and equipment
· Must be able to learn proper use of hand tools such as hammers, wrenches, picks, shovels, spades, rakes, loppers, saws and similar tools
· Must be able to communicate with co-workers and the general public in a one-on-one setting
· Willingness to work a flexible schedule including but not limited to weekdays, evenings and weekends
· Must have a positive attitude and work well in a team atmosphere.
· Must be able to work safely without presenting a direct threat to self and/or others
· Ability to work in a team setting with variable support roles
· Reliable transportation to and from worksite