Roles and Responsibilities:
Provide quality dental care and associated services to patients under the general supervision of a dentist and using established dental hygiene procedures. Assist other staff in a variety of patient care, office and laboratory duties. Perform broad responsibilities for clinic dental health education activities.
Summary of Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
1. Provide direct patient care and dental services as trained, licensed, and assigned. Assess dental condition and needs of patient using approved patient screening procedures, including medical history review, social history and dental charting.
2. Evaluate overall oral health, examining oral cavity for signs of periodontal disease or possible cancers, including recessed & bleeding gums, and oral lesions.
3. Expose, process and mount radiograph films.
4. Document dental history or chief complaint; record and report pertinent observations and patient reactions to dentists, as appropriate.
5. Document lab procedures and ensure follow up on results.
6. Follow through with oral hygiene procedures in accordance with treatment plans prescribed by the attending dentist. Procedures may include: Prophylaxis, periodontal scaling, root planning, debridement, supra and subgingival scaling and curettage, application of fluoride treatments, and application of protective sealants.
7. Assist the dentist with restorative and surgical procedures.
8. Help patients feel comfortable before, during and after dental treatment.
9. Educate patients in oral hygiene and dental care, including proper tooth brushing, flossing, nutrition and need for professional care.
10. Demonstrate commitment to the mission of the organization in promoting dental health.
11. Interact positively with a diverse, sometimes difficult, and demanding patient population. Provide service in a manner that is appropriate for the patient’s age; demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to meet the patient’s physical, psychosocial, educational and safety needs.
12. Read, write, and maintain patient records and related administrative documentation.
13. Utilize the requisite tools, systems, technology and equipment in the collection of patient data, records management and collections.
14. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of dentistry procedures, clinic infection control procedures, cleaning and sterilization of instruments, tray setup and materials.
15. Demonstrate knowledge of established oral hygiene concepts and periodontal therapies.
16. Maintain and improve organization of dental equipment and supplies.
Requirements for the Position:
1. Full commitment and dedication to the mission statement of Hope Healthcare Services
2. Full compliance with Hope Statement of Faith
a. High school diploma or equivalent.
b. Successful completion of an accredited dental hygienist program.
c. Current Registered Dental Hygienist with state licensure.
d. Current CPR and radiation safety certification.
e. Certification to administer local anesthesia is preferred.
Note: This job description will change as needed to fulfill the mission of Hope Healthcare. The person assigned to this position will be notified. This description serves as a high level overview of the above position. Other duties will be assigned as business needs arise.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Hope Healthcare Services
Hope Healthcare Services, a Christian ministry providing medical and dental services to individuals and families who do not have medical or dental insurance of any kind, is seeking to add paid staff dental professionals to augment the work of licensed volunteers currently serving. The position will be for one day per week (specific days TBD.) The program will launch at the Avon, IN clinic as soon as the dentist (one day/wk) and the hygienist/assistant (two days/wk) are hired.