Hendricks County Senior Services, Inc.
A. POSITION TITLE: Custodian
B. PRIMARY FUNCTION
1. Maintaining a safe, clean, attractive senior center building for seniors to
2. Maintain building and furnishings in best condition possible.
1. Educational – High school diploma preferred; must demonstrate ability to
read/follow product labels and instruction and measure cleaning chemicals.
2. Experience- Experience in cleaning public areas preferred.
3. Personal – Neat and clean appearance; self-starter; works well with others;
empathetic to older adults.
D. MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES
1. Keep facility in clean, safe, tidy condition, including:
a) Sweep tile floor (daily);
b) Mop tile floor in kitchen and dining hall (daily);
c) Mop tile floor in big room (weekly and as needed);
d) Dust surface areas (weekly);
e) Disinfect surface areas and clean walls, removing markings (as needed);
f) Vacuum carpet (daily);
g) Clean windows and glass doors (daily);
h) Clean and disinfect all restrooms, including floors, countertops, and toilets
i) Collect and remove trash (daily);
j) Return chairs, tables and furniture to storage or location (daily);
k) Replace light bulbs (as needed);
l) Perform basic facility maintenance and repair equipment (as needed);
m) Check and initial facility fire extinguishers (monthly);
n) Spot clean carpet and tile floor (as needed);
o) Vacuum, spot clean and shampoo furniture (as assigned);
p) Buff tile floor using floor buffer (as assigned);
q) Shampoo carpet (as assigned); and
r) Deep clean spaces as assigned during month.
2. Disinfect items and maintain storage area for durable equipment.
3. Maintain condition of restrooms and kitchen areas with special attention.
4. Clean office area weekly, or as needed/requested by supervisor.
5. Maintains inventory and submits written requests for supplies.
6. Follows instructions from supervisor regarding safety practices and agency policy.
7. Performs all duties as assigned by supervisor.
8. Work with other staff in duties that enhance the agency’s mission.
9. Report any unsafe, broken, or questionable conditions to supervisor as soon as
10. Custodian should lend assistance to any service area when needed.
11. Maintain CPR certification and other required trainings.
12. Must receive, review, understand and agree to follow the policies of Hendricks
County Senior Services as detailed in the agency’s employee handbook.
F. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Must have the ability to walk, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and reach and lift
Must have normal hearing, with the aid of corrective devices, as needed (i.e. hearing
Must have normal vision, with the aid of corrective devices, as needed (i.e. glasses or
Must have the ability to lift up to 20 lbs. unassisted.
Must have the ability to safely use a ladder or step ladder when required.
Must have the ability to tolerate exposure to dust, cleaning chemicals and/or fumes.
Must have the ability to exert up to 40 pounds of force.
Must be at least 18 years of age.
G. COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTS
Must have the ability to evaluate and determine proper action in situations that may
pose a safety risk.
Must have the ability to effectively communicate, including:
1. Strong oral communication skills
2. Knowledge of English language
Must have the ability to organize and prioritize tasks.
Must have the ability to comply with all Federal, State, and local regulations and
The Custodian’s hours of work are consistent. The position requires standing and walking for
extended periods. The custodian will need to bend, crouch, kneel, stoop, reach and lift overhead,
push, and pull. Occasionally the position may require lifting 10-20 pounds. The position may also
require exposure to cleaning chemicals. The position requires frequent interaction with older
The physical demands described here are the representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
I have read the job description and understand the qualifications and responsibilities of this
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Hendricks County Senior Services
3-4 Hours Daily - 5 days per week; Hours can be early morning, later afternoon or evenings